Skip to main content

Here we go again – 2020/21 SCFL season predictions

 After last year’s highly successful SCFL season predictions, in which not one prediction I made ultimately proved to be wrong, I’ve decided to give it another bash this year.

Of course, the March abandonment of the league (along with normal life, in general) technically means that I didn’t get anything right either… but I’ve always been a glass-half-full kind of guy.

In fairness, at the time of the season being declared null and void, I would say that about half of my predictions had looked like being on - or at least close to - the money, while half I couldn’t have got more wrong if I’d tried.

With all the wholesale changes made to some SCFL squads since March, and the uncertainty surrounding practically everything at the moment, I’d be amazed if this season’s predictions bear any resemblance to what will actually transpire.

So, for those I tip for a season of glory, please accept my apologies in advance for providing you with what will most likely be the unwelcome kiss of death (through a mask, of course). For those I forecast to endure a season of struggle, feel free to pin these words to your dressing room wall, then laugh at me when you undoubtedly end up winning the league come the end of the season.   

So, on the eve of a brand-new campaign, here are my predictions for the top two divisions of the SCFL. 

 SCFL Premier League

The early curtailment of the 2019/20 season, deprived local football fans of what looked like being one of the most exciting title races of recent years. At the time of the postponement, no fewer than five teams – Lancing, Eastbourne Town, Newhaven, Peacehaven and Horley – will have felt that they were in with a realistic shout of championship glory.

While I would expect to see all five teams battling around the top of the table again this time round, the loss of Lancing’s highly-rated managerial duo of Naim Rouane and David Altendorff could make it hard for them to replicate their superb table-topping form of last season. Yet a talented squad remains and they'll be confident of going again.

Eastbourne Town may have lost a couple of key players, but they still possess quality - and goals - throughout. Just as I did last season, I'm tipping them for the title again.

Newhaven and Horley were both in fine form when the season was abandoned, and if they can take that form with them into the new season, then they will both be in with a good shout too, come May (or whenever the season is scheduled to end).

At Peacehaven, Mark Shutt has done a fine job of moulding a competitive young squad with a never-say-die attitude. Last season I saw them recover from three goals down after 90 minutes to draw 3-3 with LangneyWanderers, while they were at it again as recently as Tuesday night when they bounced back from 3-1 down after 60 minutes to beat Bearsted 5-3 in the FA Cup Extra Prelim round. With this fighting spirit, they can’t be discounted from the reckoning.

Other teams I expect to see challenging near the top include Langney Wanderers and Eastbourne United. Despite a relatively late change in manager, Wanderers look to have made some astute signings and are my dark horses for the coming campaign. Meanwhile, United bounced back well from ambitious former chairman Billy Wood’s departure to Hastings at the start of last season, and Matt Crabb has built a side that will once again prove hard-to-beat.

There’s a whole clutch of teams in the division that also look capable of piercing midtable mediocracy for a shot at the higher echelons of the table.

Saltdean are one team that could be in for an interesting season. Having recruited Anthony Storey as manager from AFC Uckfield early in pre-season, it at one point seemed as though the whole of last year’s Uckfield squad would be relocating to Hill Park. A number of other signings have followed, including nomadic striker Jack Langford (again), and if they gel quickly the Tigers could be in for a decent season. However, if they don’t…

AFC Uckfield are in a similar position to Saltdean, with a number of new players. The experienced management team of Graham Mintrim and Steve Ives could be an Ace up their sleeve, though, and they look to have recruited wisely. That ‘Welcome to Uckfield’ sign has certainly been busy over the summer (check out their Twitter page, if you don’t know what I mean).

Lingfield, Crawley Down and Broadbridge Heath are all strong-looking teams that could break into the higher positions if they can get some momentum behind them, while last year’s promoted duo of Alfold and Steyning are likely to improve having had the best part of a season to adjust to life at a higher level. Alfold’s 9-1 demolition of Shoreham in the FA Cup Extra Prelim certainly hints that they could be a force to be reckoned with.

Little Common continue to exceed my expectations and were positioned comfortably in mid-table when last season was postponed. I’m sure they would snap my hand off for the same again this time out.

This time last year, Horsham YMCA were one of my tips for the title only to start the season abysmally and never really recover. With a few players having left, and an emphasis seemingly being placed on youth this could be another tough year for them. I see them more likely to be battling towards the bottom of the table rather than the top.

Hassocks, East Preston, Pagham and (in particular) Loxwood were all battling against the drop last season and will be hoping for better this time out. However, it’s hard to see any of this quartet challenging towards the top end of the table and another season of struggle could be on the cards (which means, if you’re a betting man, put your money on one of these teams to win the league!).

 

SCFL Division One

Before I make a start on my Division One predictions, I feel it only right to mention the plight of Southwick. The Wickers were the only SCFL senior  team who failed to make it through the Covid-induced turmoil of the past few months (read more about their issues here). Hopefully, one of the league’s founder members will be back playing at their Old Barn Way ground in the very near future and can one day retake their place at the level where they undoubtedly belong.

So, onto the predictions. In truth, the division was shaping up to be little more than a procession last year, with Littlehampton Town marching to what would have been an almost certain promotion and title win when the season was ended. With much of that high-quality squad still intact, it is nigh-on impossible to look past them bossing the league again this year and claiming that well deserved spot in the Premier division.

I expect their main challengers to be Arundel, AFC Varndeanians, Bexhill United, Mile Oak and possibly Seaford. On their day, all of these sides boast teams that could have a real chance at a tilt at the title, but in my opinion Littlehampton’s superior squad depth will likely leave these five teams battling it out for runners-up spot.

On paper, the rest of this division looks really competitive to me. It’s hard to spot a team that looks likely to be little more than cannon fodder, as has been the case in the past few years. Hailsham Town, Selsey and Wick all possess decent squads, and if they can add more consistency to their game, then each of these could also be in the promotion shake-up, while after a few seasons of struggle, Worthing United look ready to enjoy their best season for years.

Midhurst and Easebourne, Storrington and Roffey should also have enough quality to steer clear of the relegation places, while even the three I expect to see struggle, Oakwood, Billinghurst and Shoreham, could easily surpass my expectations.

 

So there you have it. My predictions for the new campaign.

Please don’t take offence to any of what’s written above. It’s nothing personal. I have no affinity to any team and I’m more than happy to be proved wrong (or right, if I’ve predicted good things for you).

I wish all teams the best of luck for the season ahead, and I hope to get out to see you all at least once over the coming months. Please don’t poison my coffee if I’ve tipped you to struggle!

Fingers crossed we can get the season over the line this time. I don’t think I can take another six months locked down with my kids!

Enjoyed this blog post? Then you may be interested in reading my kindle book which recounts my 2018/19 groundhopping journey (take a look, it’s only 99p).

Comments

  1. Followed Lancing closely last year and you're absolutely right, such a shame to lose them. However, Kane Louis and Matt Evans has been part of that team and must simply continue and motivete what was already going on (not sure if Rhodes was too). Looking forward to another season! Touch wood that we can finish it and move up and move up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Groundhopping away from home

Bootle FC 3 Charnock Richard 1, NWCFL Premier Division, 21 st August 2018 When, a few months ago, the parents of the Withdean Youth team that I had coached for the past eight years clubbed together to buy me a tour of Anfield, my wife viewed this as a great opportunity to take a few days away with the kids during the summer holidays. What she hadn’t banked on back then was my new hobby of Non-League groundhopping. Therefore, with the tour booked, and our dates away confirmed, I started looking into possible matches that we could attend. You can probably imagine the better half’s excitement when I informed her of my plans. Surprisingly, however, she didn’t turn down my offer for her to tag along me and the kids. Following some half-hearted research (never been a strength if I’m honest), I noticed that North-West Counties Football League side Bootle FC were  scheduled to be at home on the Tuesday evening that we were due to be in Liverpool. The name Bootle struck a chord with

Peacehaven’s late show proves why leaving early is a no no

Peacehaven and Telscombe 3 Langney Wanderers 3, Southern Combination Football League Premier Division, Tuesday 20 th August 2019 One of my biggest bugbears when attending live football matches are ‘supporters’ (and I use that term loosely) who leave the game early to ‘avoid the traffic’. It’s something that I used to see all the time when I took my Brighton-supporting eldest to the Amex Stadium on a fairly regular basis a few years ago. One game that particularly sticks in mind was a match against Leicester. The visitors were leading 1-0 with about five minutes left when a Leicester player was sent off. Suddenly, and somewhat inexplicably, a plethora of people sitting around us stood up and started shuffling unapologetically towards the exits, obviously eager to get a march on those foolish enough to actually stay around until the end of the game. I just don’t get it. Never have done. Never will do. There was still plenty of time for late drama, but these ‘fans’ clearl

Goalie gaffe settles Rocks derby

Tunbridge Wells 1 Rusthall 2, Southern Counties East Football League Premier Division, Saturday 23 rd February 2019 Following a rare foray to a match outside of Sussex last weekend, this Saturday brought another trip to a game outside of my home county. However, as with last weekend’s trip to Lingfield , I didn’t stray too far past the Sussex border. The truth is that I’ve had my eye on a visit to Tunbridge Wells FC’s Culverden Stadium all season. It’s a club with which I can a claim a very loose connection. Not only is my wife from the town, but my father-in-law was for many years the club’s secretary, among other things. I myself was, for a brief period in the 2007/08 season, the club's temporary program editor – despite never having seen the team play either home or away. Welcome, ladies and gents, to the often weird and wacky world of non-league football! This was a situation, though, that I’d vowed to put right this season. And what better time to pay my inaug