Skip to main content

Sussex snow prompts sojourn to Seaford


Seaford Town 3 Midhurst and Easebourne 3, SCFL Division one, Saturday 2nd February 2019

Over the last few days, I, like a large proportion of the British population I suspect, have become something of a weather watcher.

As the week wore on, and it became increasingly clear that snow was likely to meddle with the weekend's local nonleague football schedule, I began trying to pinpoint areas in Sussex where games were likely to go ahead. Just in case my first-choice game of Arundel vs Pagham were to fall foul of the conditions. Which ultimately it did.

Now, 20 years ago or so, if I'd wanted to keep track of what the weather was supposedly going to be like, I’d probably turn the TV on to see what the highly trained meteorological experts giving the forecasts were saying. You know, Ulrika Johnson, Denise Van Outen… people like that.

But times have changed. These days I no longer bother listening to the ‘experts’. Instead I do what most other sane British people do. I turn to social media.

Who needs experts when you can be sure that the very second a snowflake falls somewhere – anywhere – in the UK, it will be reported immediately on the likes of Facebook or Twitter.

Admittedly, this can be slightly confusing. The amount of people I know who live in the same town, yet were giving wildly contrasting overviews of quite how severe the snowfall where they live was, was frankly baffling. Some people were making it sound like their particular patch of Sussex was experiencing snowfall that would not look out of place in Siberia. Meanwhile others who lived mere minutes away were bemoaning the fact that no snowfall had yet reached their neck of the woods.

I turned to my phone’s two weather apps for some extra clarity. These were no good either. Both gave completely contradicting accounts of what was going on. Bloody experts!

By midday on Friday, the snow in my own particular corner of Sussex – the seemingly balmy Newhaven – had all but disappeared. With no more snow forecast – my social media contacts, at least – my thoughts turned to attending a match close to home. Having already been to Newhaven and Saltdean this season, and with Peacehaven due to be away in Eastbourne, out-of-form Seaford Town’s match against relegation-threatened Midhurst became my contingency plan. 


With my own Saturday coaching commitments in Brighton having fallen victim to a combination of snow and ice, I spent much of Saturday morning following local clubs on Twitter to see what games would beat the weather. As updates consistently rolled in throughout the morning, the majority sad to report that their game had failed a pitch inspection, at just before 11am I had the news I was expecting. The game at Arundel was off. The game in Seaford was on.

I would staying close to home this Saturday.

The Crouch is a ground I’ve been to on a handful of occasions before. Although only as a player – it was briefly used as a cup final venue by the Lewes Sunday League when the team I played for reached a couple of finals, while I also played a number of youth games on the pitch. (We won the finals by the way; it's always important to mention such things). I honestly can’t remember ever having been there purely as a spectator, though.

Deciding to cede the car to my wife for the afternoon (on the proviso that she at least dropped me outside the ground) I arrived at The Crouch just after 14:30. Admission was £5 with a program included as part of the price. The Crouch is a typical basic county ground, with one main covered seated stand. The playing surface, it has to be said, looked to be in decent nick. While it was undoubtedly bobbly, considering the amount of games that were called off elsewhere in the county (and beyond) this game going ahead was never really in doubt. 


My first port of call upon arriving at the ground was to the bar for a pint – no driving means I can have a rare but much enjoyed alcoholic beverage. The appealing price of £3.30 serves as yet another reminder as to why more people should get along to support a nonleague side on a Saturday afternoon. While flicking through the program in the warmth of the clubhouse, a quick glance at the league table reveals that combined Seaford and Midhurst have shipped more that 100 goals between them this season, thus raising my hopes that the game could be a bit of a goalfest. A hope that proves to be well-founded.


The hosts were utterly dominant in the opening 35 minutes, and will be wondering how they hadn’t put the game to bed during this period. Although they did score twice through Jack Webber, they also missed a number of good chances to have had the match won. Webber could easily have had a hat-trick by the time he eventually netted his second in the 35th minute, while Amesh Sisimayi, Sam Pout and Jamie Buckett also missed notably decent chances. 

At this point it wasn’t hard to see why Midhurst’s defence had leaked so many goals this season.

On a rare foray forward during this period, The Stags did hit the post following a goal-mouth scramble, but  aside from that, Seaford looked comfortable and in total control.

This all changed when, with half-time fast approaching, Gary Norgate pulled one back after finding himself unmarked at a corner.

Then, almost unbelievably, the visitors levelled before the break. More questionable marking in the Seaford backline led to an unmarked Jake Slater smashing an unstoppable volley past the helpless Jack Webb in the Seaford goal.


The second-half was a much more even affair. Seaford’s form has tailed off badly since the New Year – they haven’t won since 29th December – and they looked increasingly shaky in the second half following their late capitulation in the last five minutes of the first. Midhurst’s defence certainly tightened up and Town found it increasingly difficult to create the same clear openings that they had found so easy to come by in the opening 45 minutes.

The visitors also showed a bit more attacking intent then they had done previously. While you couldn’t say they carved out more chances than the hosts, they certainly looked more threatening then they had previously.

As the game wore on, the match became increasingly scrappy. While the cold weather and bobbly surface I’m sure didn’t help proceedings, much of this scrappiness can be attributed to the ref, who it’s fair to say didn’t have a great game. It’s not that he sided with one team or another. He was equally bad for both; letting some hefty looking challenges go unpunished while giving fouls for seemingly nothing. At times it appeared a case of whichever team shouted the loudest got the decision. A display which left both sets of players, and both benches, becoming increasingly irate.

There were two main contentious moments in the second half. One was the ref somehow failing to spot a clear penalty in Seaford’s favour when Ben Dartnall was pretty much rugby tackled in the area. Even the Midhurst bench, and the assistant referee on the side of the pitch where I was standing couldn’t believe that a spot kick hadn't been awarded. The other moment was a Midhurst player being sent off after receiving two yellow cards. While both offences may have warranted the desired outcome, there were other similar, or worse, misdemeanours that went totally unpunished. It’s the inconsistency that’s so frustrating!


With just under 15 minutes left, the visitors looked to have completed their comeback. A sloppy attempt from Seaford to pass out from the back led to The Stags’ Liam Dreckman being sent clear on goal. He made no mistake with his finish. Three shots on target for Midhurst, three goals. It was exactly the sort of ruthless finishing that Seaford had so sorely lacked in the first half.

The Stags taking the lead looked to have knocked the stuffing out of the home side. More defensive lapses almost led to Midhurst getting though on a couple of further occasions, while going forward only Dartnall seemed to possess the calmness on the ball to pose the visiting defence any real problems. Everything was a bit rushed.


However, with the match deep in injury time, a corner from the right was eventually bundled home by Alex Saunders, causing jubilant scenes on the home bench, with manager Scott Osborne channelling his inner Jurgen Klopp with a merry jig onto the pitch.

So the match finished with six goals, a red card, a whole host of missed chances and a point apiece. It certainly wasn’t a game that fans of defensive solidarity or strong refereeing would have enjoyed, but it was certainly a match that this particular bitterly cold neutral observer found more than entertaining.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Groundhopping away from home

Bootle FC 3 Charnock Richard 1, NWCFL Premier Division, 21 st August 2018 When, a few months ago, the parents of the Withdean Youth team that I had coached for the past eight years clubbed together to buy me a tour of Anfield, my wife viewed this as a great opportunity to take a few days away with the kids during the summer holidays. What she hadn’t banked on back then was my new hobby of Non-League groundhopping. Therefore, with the tour booked, and our dates away confirmed, I started looking into possible matches that we could attend. You can probably imagine the better half’s excitement when I informed her of my plans. Surprisingly, however, she didn’t turn down my offer for her to tag along me and the kids. Following some half-hearted research (never been a strength if I’m honest), I noticed that North-West Counties Football League side Bootle FC were  scheduled to be at home on the Tuesday evening that we were due to be in Liverpool. The name Bootle struck a chord with

Peacehaven’s late show proves why leaving early is a no no

Peacehaven and Telscombe 3 Langney Wanderers 3, Southern Combination Football League Premier Division, Tuesday 20 th August 2019 One of my biggest bugbears when attending live football matches are ‘supporters’ (and I use that term loosely) who leave the game early to ‘avoid the traffic’. It’s something that I used to see all the time when I took my Brighton-supporting eldest to the Amex Stadium on a fairly regular basis a few years ago. One game that particularly sticks in mind was a match against Leicester. The visitors were leading 1-0 with about five minutes left when a Leicester player was sent off. Suddenly, and somewhat inexplicably, a plethora of people sitting around us stood up and started shuffling unapologetically towards the exits, obviously eager to get a march on those foolish enough to actually stay around until the end of the game. I just don’t get it. Never have done. Never will do. There was still plenty of time for late drama, but these ‘fans’ clearl

Goalie gaffe settles Rocks derby

Tunbridge Wells 1 Rusthall 2, Southern Counties East Football League Premier Division, Saturday 23 rd February 2019 Following a rare foray to a match outside of Sussex last weekend, this Saturday brought another trip to a game outside of my home county. However, as with last weekend’s trip to Lingfield , I didn’t stray too far past the Sussex border. The truth is that I’ve had my eye on a visit to Tunbridge Wells FC’s Culverden Stadium all season. It’s a club with which I can a claim a very loose connection. Not only is my wife from the town, but my father-in-law was for many years the club’s secretary, among other things. I myself was, for a brief period in the 2007/08 season, the club's temporary program editor – despite never having seen the team play either home or away. Welcome, ladies and gents, to the often weird and wacky world of non-league football! This was a situation, though, that I’d vowed to put right this season. And what better time to pay my inaug