Skip to main content

Langney match produces late drama (again)


Langney Wanderers 1 Pagham 0, Southern Combination Football League Premier Division, Saturday 8th February 2020

We had just turned onto the A23, bound for Roffey vs Seaford Town, when I thought it would be prudent to check something.

Although we hadn’t had much rain this week, there was a nagging feeling at the back of my mind. Something I couldn’t quite put my finger on. My groundhopper sense was tingling. And tingling loudly.

You see, I’ve tried to visit Roffey on numerous occasions this season. It’s one of only two grounds in the SCFL Division One that I’m yet to tick off. Each time, though, something has intervened. Usually the weather.

In order to make it to the ground in time for the 14:00 kick-off, I’d decided to travel straight there from my Saturday morning coaching commitments. My wife would then take our two sons – both of whom attend the 5Ways Football school where I work – swimming in the nearby Horsham Leisure Centre.

It was a sunny, mild, still afternoon. Perfect conditions in which to watch football. Yet still… something was wrong. I could sense it.

Asking wifey to check Roffey’s Twitter feed my fears were quickly confirmed. The game was off. Their pitch still waterlogged. What’s more, much to my surprise, she noted through my Twitter feed that a number of other local games had also succumbed to failed pitch inspections.

Luckily, I have learned to make contingency plans this season. I’ve had to. Bloody weather! I swiftly turned the car around and headed for Eastbourne.
My new destination Priory Lane to watch Langney Wanderers vs Pagham in the SCFL Prem. Wifey’s new destination the Sovereign Centre – after all, who doesn’t love a wave machine?

Thankfully, this game had the more traditional kick-off time of 15:00, thus giving me plenty of time to make it there in good time for the match to start.

Although I’ve visited Priory Lane before – both before and since my decision to become a groundhopper – these trips had always been to see the ground’s landlords, Eastbourne Borough, play. Most recently against Dulwich Hamlet in an FA Cup qualifier last season (click here for a recap of that visit and a description of the ground). I’d never seen the ground's tenants’ Langney Wanderers in action there. I felt I should. So I did.

Entrance to the ground was £6, while a well-produced but fairly content-slim programme was a further £2.

I’d seen Langney in action earlier this season in a thrilling (for the neutral, at least) 3-3 draw away at Peacehaven. On that evening, all three Peacehaven goals came in injury time. I was hoping for similar excitement this time around.


While the excitement of this game ultimately failed to match that one, there was another late twist in the tale. Which we’ll come to in good time.

Mid-table Wanderers certainly started the game firmly on the front foot. Visiting Pagham, battling against relegation, were seeing little of the ball with much of the game being played in the hosts’ attacking half.

Yet despite the direct runs of Trey Masikini and Gary Ingram causing the Pagham backline a few problems, they didn’t work visiting goalkeeper Tom Crook enough. In fact, the only save I can really remember the visiting ‘keeper making came early on when he kept out a well-struck free-kick (see video).

Langney continued to probe and threaten, though, and if anyone was going to break the deadlock before half-time you felt it would be the hosts.


Or at least that's how it felt up until the 35th minute. In the last ten minutes of the first half Pagham suddenly sprang to life and had three good opportunities to take the lead. First Harry Prisk couldn’t generate enough power on his shot to seriously trouble Dan Hutchins in the Langney goal. Then Lukas Franzen-Jones – Pagham’s stand-out player – somehow managed to only hit the post when afforded the freedom of Eastbourne to pick his spot from just a few yards out. Finally, a lunging Toby Funnell just failed to make contact with a low ball crossed in from the right.


From having controlled a majority of the first half, it was Langney who would have been the happier team to have heard the ref blow the half-time whistle.

Sure enough, the home-side quickly regained control of the match after the interval. They launched a sustained period of pressure on their visitors and created numerous decent chances. The best of these fell to Masikini who raced through clear on goal only to completely slice his shot horribly wide and high.


As Langney's pressure intensified, Pagham began to give away lots of fouls and their captain, Matt Searle, was extremely lucky not to receive a second yellow for a high challenge. That he was substituted moments later probably shows that the visiting bench were well aware that they’d got away with one.


Langney continued to control the second-half, but once again failed to test Crook enough.

Then, just as they had at the end of the first half, the visitors started to pose more of a threat. Once again, Franzen-Jones missed a decent chance to give the visitors the lead when he failed to make proper contact with a shot at the far post.


As the game entered injury time, I’d all-but resigned myself to the fact that I’d be watching only my third goalless draw in my 81st game as a groundhopper. The previous two had also taken place on 3G surfaces. Read into that what you will (PS, I’m not a massive fan – although at least it stops games being postponed!).

Then in the second minute of injury time, Pagham launched a dangerous break forward, outnumbering the hosts on a four against two counter attack. However, Joe Clarke carelessly overran the ball allowing it to run through to Hutchins. It was to prove to be a decisive moment.


From the ensuing attack, Wanderers worked the ball down the right, where a cross into the area was met my substitute Shane Saunders who rose highest to head the ball past Crook. Langney were ecstatic. Pagham absolutely gutted.

Barely a minute later the game was over. The visitors had been denied a hugely important point in the cruellest of manners. That said, it was hard to argue that over the course of 90 minutes Langney weren’t worthy winners.

Enjoyed this blog post? Then you may be interested in reading my kindle book which recounts my 2018/19 groundhopping journey (take a look, it’s only 99p).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Groundhopping away from home

Bootle FC 3 Charnock Richard 1, NWCFL Premier Division, 21 st August 2018 When, a few months ago, the parents of the Withdean Youth team that I had coached for the past eight years clubbed together to buy me a tour of Anfield, my wife viewed this as a great opportunity to take a few days away with the kids during the summer holidays. What she hadn’t banked on back then was my new hobby of Non-League groundhopping. Therefore, with the tour booked, and our dates away confirmed, I started looking into possible matches that we could attend. You can probably imagine the better half’s excitement when I informed her of my plans. Surprisingly, however, she didn’t turn down my offer for her to tag along me and the kids. Following some half-hearted research (never been a strength if I’m honest), I noticed that North-West Counties Football League side Bootle FC were  scheduled to be at home on the Tuesday evening that we were due to be in Liverpool. The name Bootle struck a chord with

Peacehaven’s late show proves why leaving early is a no no

Peacehaven and Telscombe 3 Langney Wanderers 3, Southern Combination Football League Premier Division, Tuesday 20 th August 2019 One of my biggest bugbears when attending live football matches are ‘supporters’ (and I use that term loosely) who leave the game early to ‘avoid the traffic’. It’s something that I used to see all the time when I took my Brighton-supporting eldest to the Amex Stadium on a fairly regular basis a few years ago. One game that particularly sticks in mind was a match against Leicester. The visitors were leading 1-0 with about five minutes left when a Leicester player was sent off. Suddenly, and somewhat inexplicably, a plethora of people sitting around us stood up and started shuffling unapologetically towards the exits, obviously eager to get a march on those foolish enough to actually stay around until the end of the game. I just don’t get it. Never have done. Never will do. There was still plenty of time for late drama, but these ‘fans’ clearl

Goalie gaffe settles Rocks derby

Tunbridge Wells 1 Rusthall 2, Southern Counties East Football League Premier Division, Saturday 23 rd February 2019 Following a rare foray to a match outside of Sussex last weekend, this Saturday brought another trip to a game outside of my home county. However, as with last weekend’s trip to Lingfield , I didn’t stray too far past the Sussex border. The truth is that I’ve had my eye on a visit to Tunbridge Wells FC’s Culverden Stadium all season. It’s a club with which I can a claim a very loose connection. Not only is my wife from the town, but my father-in-law was for many years the club’s secretary, among other things. I myself was, for a brief period in the 2007/08 season, the club's temporary program editor – despite never having seen the team play either home or away. Welcome, ladies and gents, to the often weird and wacky world of non-league football! This was a situation, though, that I’d vowed to put right this season. And what better time to pay my inaug