Skip to main content

Enforced change of plan leads to Godalming Town


Godalming Town 2 British Airways FC 1, Combined Counties Football League Division 1, Saturday 9th November 2019

It was always going to happen eventually, I suppose. Especially given the awful weather we’ve been having lately.

Yes, following an hour-and-a-bit-long drive to reach the small Surrey village of Alfold yesterday afternoon, I arrived at their pitch only to hear the two words that all football spectators simply dread: Match off.

Just 15 minutes before the match was due to kick-off, with players from both teams changed and ready for action, the referee decided that the rapidly deteriorating condition of the pitch combined with the torrential rain that was forecast to carry on falling until long after the game was due to finish, meant that the game was unlikely to reach a conclusion.

The players and managers were clearly not happy with the decision (I wasn’t overly thrilled, to be honest). Yet it’s hard not to have a degree of sympathy with match officials in such scenarios. They’re damned if they do, damned if they don’t.

There were a number of games across the southern counties that kicked-off yesterday only to be abandoned long before they reached their conclusion.
One such example could be seen in nearby Billingshurst, where the game was abandoned just after half-time with the hosts trailing 6-0. You’d like to think that common sense will prevail and the afternoon’s visitor’s, Wick, will be awarded the three points that they would definitely have secured. But I wouldn’t hold your breath…

The fact is, referee’s have to take a number of factors into consideration before making a call to postpone a game, including issues regarding player welfare and the wear and tear of the pitch. I’m not saying that they always make the right call – or even that there aren’t some refs who choose to take the easy option to postpone rather than spending an hour-and-a-half getting drenched and cold – but it’s one of those decisions that is never going to be met with universal approval.

To be fair, that the game was postponed didn’t come as a massive shock. I’d half expected it. In fact, I had almost decided against making the long trip to Alfold just a few minutes before eventually leaving the house.

‘I’m not sure the game will be on,” I said to wifey just before 13:30. “I might stay local and go to Mile Oak vs Littlehampton instead. At least if that one’s called off then I haven’t had to drive too far.”

“It’ll be fine,” came wifey’s confident reply. “it’s only just started raining. There’s no way the game will be off.”

Not that I want to pass the buck or anything, you understand. But it was definitely all her fault!

So, back to Alfold. A quick check of my Groundhopper App revealed that Godalming Town – located around 10 miles north – were also at home that afternoon against British Airways FC. What’s more, there was no mention on Twitter of that game having been postponed.

Okay, so I wouldn’t get there quite in time for kick-off. But at least it would mean I hadn’t made a totally wasted journey.

Ultimately, I arrived at Godalming’s Bill Kyte Stadium just after 15:10. I was waved through the turnstile by the friendly gateman for no charge, although was told I’d have to wait until half-time to pick up a programme (which, of course, I did).

Fortunately, the game was still goalless upon my arrival.

I immediately positioned myself under the covered main stand, which is a fantastic looking old-school non-league-style stand and, in my opinion, more attractive that the identikit newer stands that so many grounds now seem to favour.
There were also a couple of covered terraces behind both goals – a small one behind the goal nearest the entrance and a longer one at the far end. I was surprised to see that the smaller stand behind the goal Godalming were attacking was chock-full of fans. Despite the rotten weather, there seemed to be a decent enough turn out for the game.

I’ll be honest, as this was not the game that I had been expecting to be at, and the Combined Counties is a league I don’t follow too closely, I had no idea about anything to do with either Godalming Town or British Airways FC. Without the aid of my programme, I didn’t know what positions in the league they were in… in fact, I didn’t even know what division of the Combined Counties League they were actually in. I could have checked on my phone, of course, but my hands were cold and, frankly, I couldn’t be bothered (hence the lack of match photos).

The first half – or a least the part that I saw – was not exactly laden with opportunities. The hosts certainly looked the better side and had the better of the few half chances that did arrive, but to say that one team was utterly dominant would be unjust.

Both sets of players were clearly struggling to get to grips with the conditions, and standing water appeared to be settling on certain parts of the pitch. The game’s one bright spark was the form of Godalming’s Reece Weekes, whose direct running caused the visiting defence no end of problems throughout the afternoon.

Half-time arrived without a goal being scored and, seeking sanctuary in the warmth of the clubhouse, I duly purchased a decent little programme for £2. Glancing through it, I was surprised to see that Godalming were second-bottom of the table, while British Airways were ensconced firmly in the middle. While the hosts hadn’t exactly set the world alight during the first half, they certainly looked a better outfit than the table suggested. A recent change of manager – this, the programme informed me, was Paul Bonner’s first game in charge – seemed to be having the desired effect.

Thankfully, I made it out for the second-half in time for kick-off. Had I been as late to the party as I had been for the first-half, then I would have missed not one but two goals.

The first came less than a minute after the restart. Unsurprisingly it was Weekes who made the difference, bursting down the right wing before cutting inside and placing a low finish into the bottom corner.

The Godalming fans who had enjoyed taking a little longer to finish their half-time pints in the warm of the clubhouse than their hardier friends, could barely believe it when, upon finally emerging for the second half, they were gleefully informed by their more punctual counterparts that they’d missed a goal.

Those who chose to combine finishing their pint with a trip to the toilet (there were a number) were even more surprised when they were told it was 2-0 upon making it out for the second half.

Sure enough, barely five minutes of the second period had been played when Ben Bauchop doubled Godalming’s lead with a splendid dipping strike from the edge of the area.

British Airways certainly saw more of the ball than their hosts from this point on, but, for the most part, Godalming defended stoutly, limiting their opponents to long range efforts. One of these efforts did almost lead to a goal when the home stopper could only spill a tame shot (the wet ball obviously didn’t help him) before redeeming himself by making a fine save on the follow up.

Just as it appeared Godalming were going to hang on for a fairly comfortable three points, with five minutes remaining the visitors pulled a goal back; the number 11 lashing a fierce shot from the edge of the box which, with the aid of a slight deflection, rebounded off the post and nestled in the net.

There were a few nervy moments for the hosts after that. Not least, deep into injury time when British Airways nearly equalised following a well-worked free-kick where they elected to play short rather than shoot. Godalming managed to scramble away the resulting corner and, shortly after, the referee brought the game to an end.
The hosts had clung on for a vital – and overall just-about-deserved – three points.

A rare word of praise here for the ref – I thought he handled the game, in difficult conditions, superbly; constantly talking to the players in a firm but fair way and letting them know what was expected of them. Good to see.

So, on an afternoon on which it had initially looked like I’d made a wasted journey, I did end up getting to watch a full match. Well, except for the first ten minutes, of course.

Coincidentally, the Mile Oak vs Littlehampton Town game that wifey had talked me out of attending was abandoned after 60 minutes. So maybe she does know what she’s talking about, after all.

Enjoyed this blog post? Then you may be interested in reading my kindle book which recounts my 2018/19 groundhopping journey (take a look, it’s only 99p).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Groundhopping away from home

Bootle FC 3 Charnock Richard 1, NWCFL Premier Division, 21 st August 2018 When, a few months ago, the parents of the Withdean Youth team that I had coached for the past eight years clubbed together to buy me a tour of Anfield, my wife viewed this as a great opportunity to take a few days away with the kids during the summer holidays. What she hadn’t banked on back then was my new hobby of Non-League groundhopping. Therefore, with the tour booked, and our dates away confirmed, I started looking into possible matches that we could attend. You can probably imagine the better half’s excitement when I informed her of my plans. Surprisingly, however, she didn’t turn down my offer for her to tag along me and the kids. Following some half-hearted research (never been a strength if I’m honest), I noticed that North-West Counties Football League side Bootle FC were  scheduled to be at home on the Tuesday evening that we were due to be in Liverpool. The name Bootle struck a chord with

Peacehaven’s late show proves why leaving early is a no no

Peacehaven and Telscombe 3 Langney Wanderers 3, Southern Combination Football League Premier Division, Tuesday 20 th August 2019 One of my biggest bugbears when attending live football matches are ‘supporters’ (and I use that term loosely) who leave the game early to ‘avoid the traffic’. It’s something that I used to see all the time when I took my Brighton-supporting eldest to the Amex Stadium on a fairly regular basis a few years ago. One game that particularly sticks in mind was a match against Leicester. The visitors were leading 1-0 with about five minutes left when a Leicester player was sent off. Suddenly, and somewhat inexplicably, a plethora of people sitting around us stood up and started shuffling unapologetically towards the exits, obviously eager to get a march on those foolish enough to actually stay around until the end of the game. I just don’t get it. Never have done. Never will do. There was still plenty of time for late drama, but these ‘fans’ clearl

Goalie gaffe settles Rocks derby

Tunbridge Wells 1 Rusthall 2, Southern Counties East Football League Premier Division, Saturday 23 rd February 2019 Following a rare foray to a match outside of Sussex last weekend, this Saturday brought another trip to a game outside of my home county. However, as with last weekend’s trip to Lingfield , I didn’t stray too far past the Sussex border. The truth is that I’ve had my eye on a visit to Tunbridge Wells FC’s Culverden Stadium all season. It’s a club with which I can a claim a very loose connection. Not only is my wife from the town, but my father-in-law was for many years the club’s secretary, among other things. I myself was, for a brief period in the 2007/08 season, the club's temporary program editor – despite never having seen the team play either home or away. Welcome, ladies and gents, to the often weird and wacky world of non-league football! This was a situation, though, that I’d vowed to put right this season. And what better time to pay my inaug