Skip to main content

Invite brings a return to Falmer


Montpelier Villa 2 Angmering Village 0, Southern Combination Football League Division Two, Saturday 31st August 2019

I’ve never been able to resist an invitation. Okay, so I may only very rarely get invited out these days… but that’s not the point. On the rare occasions that I do receive an offer to go somewhere – anywhere – I tend to do my utmost to attend.

So, when in mid-July, I received a message on Twitter from Montpelier Villa manager – and regular opponent in my Sunday League playing days – Simon Whitney, inviting me to attend Villa’s match with Angmering Village on 31st August as they were holding a special ‘Club Day’, I was only too happy to accept.

Unfortunately, this would mean missing a game in the opening round of the FA Vase, but I wasn’t really too bothered. As mentioned in one of my blog posts last season, Montpelier Villa are one of the few clubs in Sussex with which I have something of a tenuous connection. Not only do I know quite a few of their first-team players but, at some point or another, I have also coached a fair number of their under 18s team; many of whom are regularly given an opportunity to shine in the first 11.

I arrived at the Falmer Sports Complex at just after 14:40. From the dearth of available parking spaces, I assumed the club day must have produced quite a crowd.

I assumed wrong.

It quickly transpired that the crowded car park was largely due to the fact a women’s hockey game and men’s cricket match were also taking place that afternoon. In fact, as I made my way towards Villa’s 3G playing surface, aside from the players who were warming up and a small band of spectators standing to the side of the pitch, there was no sign that any Club Day was taking place.

There was a good reason for this. It wasn’t,

It quickly transpired that due to the large amounts of families on holiday at this time of year, the club had decided to postpone the day for the time being. I obviously didn’t get the memo.

Still, at least there was no admission fee for the game and despite, the fact the programme should have set me back £2, this also came free due to the programme seller/club secretary being unable to give me change for a £5 note (yes, really). Bonus!

Aside from the lack of a Club Day taking place, I encountered another unexpected sight upon arriving at the ground. That of former County and Sunday League goal-machine, Ryan Walton, donning the Villa goalkeeper shirt. Times have certainly changed.
I also noticed that Gabriel Robinson, a player I coached for a season when he played for Withdean Youth (either in the Under 11s or Under 12s, can’t remember which) was in the starting 11.

With Angmering Village having started the season in confident fashion, boasting a 100 per cent record after their first three games, and Villa having accumulated seven points from the same number of matches, an early season top-of-the-table clash was as good a way as any of making up for the slight disappointment of not being at an FA Vase match.

Villa were by far the better side from the off. Playing with a healthy wind advantage in the first-half (wearing shorts was clearly a mistake on what turned out to be an unexpected blustery and drizzly afternoon) they created a plethora of chances in the opening half-an-hour.

They had already hit the woodwork (metalwork) three times when the lively Robinson – one of those who had hit the post – was scythed down in the area. Not only did this give the hosts a golden opportunity to take a deserved lead but, as Walton strode confidently forward, it also gave me the perfect chance to witness one of my pre-season ambitions; seeing a goalkeeper score.
Unfortunately for Villa, Walton and (selfishly) me, the home goalkeeper saw his well-struck effort rebound off the post (to the amusement of many on Twitter).

As half-time approached, more decent Villa chances came and went; Village goalkeeper Jonny Hendrick pulling off a couple of worldy saves to keep his team level. At the other end, the visitors were being restricted to mainly long-range efforts and appeared to be struggling to come to terms with playing against the wind.

Villa finally took the lead when, following a brief goalmouth scramble where the bar was struck once again, Charlie Parmiter finally forced the ball between the two posts and over the line. 


If the visitors were hoping that the change of ends (therefore gaining a wind advantage) would change the complexion of the game, they were to be disappointed. Villa remained the dominant side after the interval. Although the Village forwards may have started to see slightly more of the ball, clear-cut chances remained elusive.


Their task was made harder when Tyler Coomber was sin-binned midway through the half. Still haven't made my mind up over the merits of sin-binning. Used consistently, I think it's a really good idea. Whether it is being used consistently, of course, is another debate entirely.
Villa smelled blood and immediately stepped up their efforts to net the second goal that would all but finish the game as contest. When the bar was struck twice more in quick succession (honestly, by my count the post or bar was struck by a Villa player eight times during the course of the match; on one occasion twice with one shot), it wouldn’t have been a major surprise to me if Village had somehow ended up managing to snatch a point from the game.
Even when they avoided the goal frame, they were repeatedly denied by Hendrick, who had a fine game. It seemed to have ‘one of those afternoons’ written all over it (see below video for one of the keeper's many fine saves).

Such fears for the hosts were eroded, however, when Aaron McMillan produced a tidy-first time finish following good work from Robinson down the right with just under 20 minutes remaining.

Angmering came close to pulling one back when their forward headed against a post with ten minutes left, but aside from that, the Montpelier backline never looked like being breached.


The home fans even got to enjoy an impressive 15-minute cameo from 16-year-old Luke French (not one of the youngsters I can claim any credit for, I’m afraid) who really impressed in the closing stages of the game.

All in all, it was an extremely impressive performance from the hosts who look well set to enjoy a push for promotion this season; and I’m fairly sure that, despite a below-par afternoon, Angmering won’t be far away either.
Enjoyed this blog post? Then you may be interested in reading my kindle book which recounts my 2018/19 groundhopping journey (take alook, it’s only 99p).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Groundhopping away from home

Bootle FC 3 Charnock Richard 1, NWCFL Premier Division, 21 st August 2018 When, a few months ago, the parents of the Withdean Youth team that I had coached for the past eight years clubbed together to buy me a tour of Anfield, my wife viewed this as a great opportunity to take a few days away with the kids during the summer holidays. What she hadn’t banked on back then was my new hobby of Non-League groundhopping. Therefore, with the tour booked, and our dates away confirmed, I started looking into possible matches that we could attend. You can probably imagine the better half’s excitement when I informed her of my plans. Surprisingly, however, she didn’t turn down my offer for her to tag along me and the kids. Following some half-hearted research (never been a strength if I’m honest), I noticed that North-West Counties Football League side Bootle FC were  scheduled to be at home on the Tuesday evening that we were due to be in Liverpool. The name Bootle struck a chord with

Peacehaven’s late show proves why leaving early is a no no

Peacehaven and Telscombe 3 Langney Wanderers 3, Southern Combination Football League Premier Division, Tuesday 20 th August 2019 One of my biggest bugbears when attending live football matches are ‘supporters’ (and I use that term loosely) who leave the game early to ‘avoid the traffic’. It’s something that I used to see all the time when I took my Brighton-supporting eldest to the Amex Stadium on a fairly regular basis a few years ago. One game that particularly sticks in mind was a match against Leicester. The visitors were leading 1-0 with about five minutes left when a Leicester player was sent off. Suddenly, and somewhat inexplicably, a plethora of people sitting around us stood up and started shuffling unapologetically towards the exits, obviously eager to get a march on those foolish enough to actually stay around until the end of the game. I just don’t get it. Never have done. Never will do. There was still plenty of time for late drama, but these ‘fans’ clearl

Goalie gaffe settles Rocks derby

Tunbridge Wells 1 Rusthall 2, Southern Counties East Football League Premier Division, Saturday 23 rd February 2019 Following a rare foray to a match outside of Sussex last weekend, this Saturday brought another trip to a game outside of my home county. However, as with last weekend’s trip to Lingfield , I didn’t stray too far past the Sussex border. The truth is that I’ve had my eye on a visit to Tunbridge Wells FC’s Culverden Stadium all season. It’s a club with which I can a claim a very loose connection. Not only is my wife from the town, but my father-in-law was for many years the club’s secretary, among other things. I myself was, for a brief period in the 2007/08 season, the club's temporary program editor – despite never having seen the team play either home or away. Welcome, ladies and gents, to the often weird and wacky world of non-league football! This was a situation, though, that I’d vowed to put right this season. And what better time to pay my inaug