Skip to main content

Magpies steal three points


Lingfield 0 Loxwood 1, SCFL Premier Division, Saturday 16th February 2019

Having spent the past few months groundhopping solely around Sussex (my last trip outside of the county was to watch Bashley take on ColdenCommon Development back in November), it was time to leave the comforts of home.

Albeit not by much.

This weekend’s journey took me to Lingfield in Surrey, located close to the borders of both West or East Sussex, and indeed Kent. The Lingers are the only team from outside of Sussex to compete in the Southern Combination Football League, but given the village’s location it’s not hard to understand why their participation in the Sussex-dominated league is more appealing to them then the more Surrey-based Combined Counties League.

Despite being located in a different county, it was actually quicker for me to drive there from my home in Newhaven then it has been for me to reach a number of Sussex-located grounds, including that of Lingfield’s opponents for the afternoon, Loxwood.

I arrived at Lingfield’s The Pavilion Ground (aka The Lair) at just after 14:40, managing to find a parking space in the car park located right outside the ground. Admission to the ground was £5 with a really well-produced matchday program thrown in for good measure. I’d have been more than happy to pay extra for the program as it was filled with decent content but, hey, who am I to complain!


The Pavilion is a fairly basic County League-standard ground, with a fairly modern-looking covered seated stand located towards the far end of the near side of the pitch. There is also some covered standing located next to the well-appointed clubhouse, and a couple of random park benches thrown in for good measure.


The welcoming, as it has been from the majority of teams in this division, was friendly, with a number of supporters from both teams taking the time for a quick chat.

With the Lingers riding high in the league (in a highly creditable sixth place prior to kick-off) and the Magpies located second from bottom, were I a gambler then my money would have been placed firmly on a home win (this is why I don’t gamble). I did overhear a couple of home supporters stating that they have struggled against the bottom five this season, although a quick glance at the program revealed that apart from a loss against basement side Eastbourne United last month, most of their results against the league’s strugglers had been positive.

Maybe they were taking the view that pessimists can never be disappointed?

It’s fair to say that the match that unfolded wasn’t what you would call a classic. The hosts had plenty of the ball, but with Loxwood determined to defend doggedly and try to pick their opponents off on the break, the Lingers failed to create too much in the way of clear-cut chances.


The one real moment of quality in the first half unsurprisingly did come from Lingfield. Ben Connolly was sent through on goal following some fantastic quick passing in midfield, but his shot failed to beat the solid Liam Matthews, who made a good save.

Loxwood’s best chance of the opening half fell to right-back Jason Dawson (who along with fellow full-back Lewis Broughton I felt were the visitors stand-out players) but he skewed his shot horribly wide from a tight angle.



Aside from the odd break, the only other way Loxwood really looked likely to get on the scoresheet in the opening 45 minutes was through Lingfield goalkeeper Dan Burnett being caught in possession. Burnett certainly seems to enjoy channelling his inner Ederson or Allison when the ball is at his feet. And while for the most part he looks comfortable enough, there were a few occasions when he was almost caught out. I think it’s fair to say he caused his manager a few anxious moments.


The only other moment of note in the first-half, came right at the end, when Lorenzo Lewis was booked for clipping an opponent from behind. The decision drew plenty of complaints from the home supporters, although I have to say from where I was standing it did look like a yellow. It wasn’t a bad tackle; just clumsy. The reason this was important will become apparent soon.

One of the most interesting things about my groundhopping journey to date has been being able to watch a game from a totally neutral point of view. I honestly have no affiliation to any team in the league, and don’t care who wins. I just want to see some good football. Therefore, listening to supporters, managers and players from both team’s harangue referees’ week after week is quite amusing (I know I was certainly guilty of such behaviour when I played, and am certainly like it when watching my own team). Sometimes this stick can be warranted (some refs have been truly shocking this season), other times less so. Yesterday’s ref was far from the worst I have seen this season. Yet he was inconsistent. There were fouls, from both sides, that were as bad as Lewis’ first booking, but avoided further punishment. It is this inconsistency that drives those involved mad. That said, you couldn’t pay me enough to become a ref. It’s a thankless task.

Anyway, back to the action. Or lack thereof. Retreating to the clubhouse at half-time, I was intrigued to see that instead of scores from other matches being displayed on the TV screens, I was actually rewatching the first-half I had just watched. All Lingfield’s matches are professionally recorded by DEPhoto.tv, who also provide detailed analysis on each fixture. Very impressive! I’m sure that when the first-half has been a six-goal thriller, then rewatching parts of it at half-time is quite enjoyable for those supping a half-time pint or coffee. Not today, though.


That said, the half-time break did provide the highlight of the afternoon so far when one dog tried to give another an unwanted late Valentine's Day present. To the amusement of most of the clubhouse, although not the other dog’s owner. Or indeed the other dog.

The opening minutes of the second half mirrored the pattern of the first. Lingfield seeing more of the ball; Loxwood sticking determinedly to their task.

The turning point of the match came 15 minutes into the half. Another clumsy tackle from Lewis gave the ref little option but to brandish a second yellow and send the Linger’s winger off. If the first yellow could be considered unlucky, there was no doubt about this one. Again, there was no intention of hurting an opponent, but it was a silly tackle to make when already on a warning.

Within two minutes of being reduced to ten-men, Lingfield were behind. Burnett made a great save to deny Mark Goldson, but shambolic marking from the resulting corner led to Tim Bennett scrambling the ball home at the near post (see video).

Despite being a man down, Lingfield continued to see more of the ball, but still failed to create any notable opportunities. As they continued to push, their lack of numbers started to tell, and twice they could have been picked off on the break. Had the visitors made better decisions in the final third, or showed more composure, then the last few minutes needn’t have been so nervy for them.


With time running out, and near constant pressure being applied by the hosts, they had a couple of opportunities to snatch what would have been a deserved point. The best of these chances fell to Lingfield’s top scorer Sam Clements, but he could only fire high and wide from a similar position to that which Loxwood’s Dawson had found himself in the first-half.



So Loxwood held on for what could prove to be a vital three points in their fight against relegation (especially given other results at the foot of the table yesterday). While it was far from a classic, the Magpies won’t care a jot. At this stage of the season it’s all about results. 
While this result will be disappointing for the Lingers, they certainly look like they possess more than enough quality to secure a top ten finish. This was just one of those days where their quick passes just didn’t quite come off.

With it being half-term this week, and my eldest not at football training, there’s every chance that I might sneak in a midweek game. There’s also a good chance that I might stray out of Sussex for a second consecutive week next Saturday.

The intrigue starts here…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Groundhopping away from home

Bootle FC 3 Charnock Richard 1, NWCFL Premier Division, 21 st August 2018 When, a few months ago, the parents of the Withdean Youth team that I had coached for the past eight years clubbed together to buy me a tour of Anfield, my wife viewed this as a great opportunity to take a few days away with the kids during the summer holidays. What she hadn’t banked on back then was my new hobby of Non-League groundhopping. Therefore, with the tour booked, and our dates away confirmed, I started looking into possible matches that we could attend. You can probably imagine the better half’s excitement when I informed her of my plans. Surprisingly, however, she didn’t turn down my offer for her to tag along me and the kids. Following some half-hearted research (never been a strength if I’m honest), I noticed that North-West Counties Football League side Bootle FC were  scheduled to be at home on the Tuesday evening that we were due to be in Liverpool. The name Bootle struck a chord with

Peacehaven’s late show proves why leaving early is a no no

Peacehaven and Telscombe 3 Langney Wanderers 3, Southern Combination Football League Premier Division, Tuesday 20 th August 2019 One of my biggest bugbears when attending live football matches are ‘supporters’ (and I use that term loosely) who leave the game early to ‘avoid the traffic’. It’s something that I used to see all the time when I took my Brighton-supporting eldest to the Amex Stadium on a fairly regular basis a few years ago. One game that particularly sticks in mind was a match against Leicester. The visitors were leading 1-0 with about five minutes left when a Leicester player was sent off. Suddenly, and somewhat inexplicably, a plethora of people sitting around us stood up and started shuffling unapologetically towards the exits, obviously eager to get a march on those foolish enough to actually stay around until the end of the game. I just don’t get it. Never have done. Never will do. There was still plenty of time for late drama, but these ‘fans’ clearl

Goalie gaffe settles Rocks derby

Tunbridge Wells 1 Rusthall 2, Southern Counties East Football League Premier Division, Saturday 23 rd February 2019 Following a rare foray to a match outside of Sussex last weekend, this Saturday brought another trip to a game outside of my home county. However, as with last weekend’s trip to Lingfield , I didn’t stray too far past the Sussex border. The truth is that I’ve had my eye on a visit to Tunbridge Wells FC’s Culverden Stadium all season. It’s a club with which I can a claim a very loose connection. Not only is my wife from the town, but my father-in-law was for many years the club’s secretary, among other things. I myself was, for a brief period in the 2007/08 season, the club's temporary program editor – despite never having seen the team play either home or away. Welcome, ladies and gents, to the often weird and wacky world of non-league football! This was a situation, though, that I’d vowed to put right this season. And what better time to pay my inaug