Skip to main content

Three Bridges visit brings back good memories


Three Bridges 1 VCD Athletic 2, Bostik League South East Division, Saturday 12th January 2019

Having not been to a game for 12 days (my longest gap between matches so far this season) this Saturday’s round of matches couldn’t come round soon enough as far as I was concerned. I’d started pining for some much-needed non-league football action.

After spending much of the week umming and ahing over where to resume my groundhopping travels, I eventually plumped for Three Bridges’ Jubilee Field for their Bostik League South East Division match against VCD Athletic.


I had previously visited the ground once before… albeit not as a spectator. Or even as a player.

In fact, Jubilee Field was the venue for the highlight of my coaching career to date. It was where I led my then Withdean Youth Under 14s to the final of the Mid Sussex Youth League’s Shield Competition. A final which we went on to win 1-0.

Yes, I know coaching children is all about aiding their development rather than measuring success by results… but it still felt blooming great to win a trophy.

Even if it was the competition that was only open to the teams knocked out of the actual league cup in the first round. Even if there were only eight teams in the competition to begin with. Even if we were the only Division One side in it (in fairness, we were also the only top division side to face a team from the same division in the first round of the actual cup – a game which would ultimately turn out to be the best defeat of my life). Even if a few of my players (rather unfairly in my opinion) labelled the competition ‘the losers cup’… I was still blooming proud. And they should be too!

It goes without saying therefore, that I’d been rather looking forward to revisiting this ground for a while now.

With my Saturday morning coaching commitments having now resumed after a break for the festive period, my Saturday afternoon jaunts have become a bit of a rush again. With Brighton also being at home this afternoon. there was a part of me that was slightly concerned about the traffic on the A27, bearing in mind I would be heading past the Amex at just after 14:00. 
Fortunately, aside from a slight delay to get on to the A23, the roads weren’t too bad. I arrived at the ground’s car park – which is located pitch-side – at just after 14:45. I paid my £8 admission fee from the comfort of my car and was then waved around to park behind the club house. The friendly steward did say that I could park behind the nearest goal where there was ample space. However, having seen a few wayward non-league strikers this season, I decided not to brave it.

In addition to the admission fee, I also purchased a decent little program for £2. It was good to be in possession of a good old-fashioned program again, following my disappointment at Lewes last time out.


The main covered searing stand at the ground holds around 200, while there is another smaller covered seated area on the other side of the pitch with around 70 seats in it. I don’t remember the smaller stand being there during my last visit. That isn’t to say it wasn’t there. It may well have been. I had other things on my mind, don’t you know! There is also a covered terraced area outside the clubhouse.


VCD started the game far quicker than the hosts, who in the opening 20 minutes or so continually gave possession away cheaply. The Vickers’ hit the post from their very first attack, before a follow up effort was well saved by James Shaw. Good saves from Shaw would turn out to be a feature of the game, as he thwarted VCD on numerous occasions throughout the 90 minutes.
 A couple of other half-chances fell the visitors’ way in the early exchanges but they were unable to capitalise on their early domination.


After a lethargic opening, Bridges did grow into the game as the half wore on, although despite  a couple of decent corner deliveries that they couldn't take advantage of, they didn’t really create any clear-cut chances.


In fact, as the game approached the interval, the main talking point was arguably the inconsistency of the referee. Throughout the 90 minutes the man in the middle handed out some baffling bookings, while he let other things that looked far worthier of a yellow go completely unpunished. He also appeared to forget to wave injured players back onto the field on at least occasions; although, in fairness, this may have just been me not paying attention.

Anyway, with the game meandering towards the break goalless, the hosts took the lead out of nowhere. The dangerous Connor French got a yard of space outside the area and produced a tidy low finish to give Three Bridges a barely deserved lead. About a minute later, VCD could have been reduced to ten when their goalkeeper hauled down a Bridges striker as he bore down on goal. Fortunately for him, the ref deemed there to be enough covering defenders and the keeper was handed a reprieve. Much to the obvious consternation of the home team’s players, supporters and management.


The second half was a more open affair, with both teams having more in the way of chances.

It was the Vickers who got the next goal, though, with Jake McIntye curling a low free-kick that was precise enough to beat the hitherto unbeatable Shaw (see video below).

Bridges nearly hit-back immediately through a free kick of their own, but Joe Mant was alert enough to the danger to tip the ball away (see video below).

After a fairly even opening to the second half, VCD once again began to take control. However, just as they were starting to build up a real head of steam, denied only from taking the lead by some more heroics from Shaw, with 15 minutes to go the advantage seemed swing in the opposite direction when Athletics’ Bradley Simms was sent off for a second bookable offence. As mentioned earlier, there were a fair few bookings handed out to both teams during the match, so that one of the sided ended the match a player down came as no great surprise.


With Bridges suddenly sensing blood, they pushed more men forward in search of the three points. However, it was this approach that led to VCD getting the winner, as the visitors took advantage of acres of space being left down the left flank. Two visiting players had the chance to run on to a loose ball, but it was ultimately skipper Charlie MacDonald who reached the it first, cut inside and fired past Shaw.

Bridges pressed for the equaliser, but despite a couple of decent balls into the box, they failed to create any clear chances of note as VCD held out for the victory.    

It may have been a freezing cold afternoon. It may not have been the best game in the world. The referee may have been highly frustrating to watch at times. But my word it was good to be watching some non-league footy action again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Groundhopping away from home

Bootle FC 3 Charnock Richard 1, NWCFL Premier Division, 21 st August 2018 When, a few months ago, the parents of the Withdean Youth team that I had coached for the past eight years clubbed together to buy me a tour of Anfield, my wife viewed this as a great opportunity to take a few days away with the kids during the summer holidays. What she hadn’t banked on back then was my new hobby of Non-League groundhopping. Therefore, with the tour booked, and our dates away confirmed, I started looking into possible matches that we could attend. You can probably imagine the better half’s excitement when I informed her of my plans. Surprisingly, however, she didn’t turn down my offer for her to tag along me and the kids. Following some half-hearted research (never been a strength if I’m honest), I noticed that North-West Counties Football League side Bootle FC were  scheduled to be at home on the Tuesday evening that we were due to be in Liverpool. The name Bootle struck a chord with

Peacehaven’s late show proves why leaving early is a no no

Peacehaven and Telscombe 3 Langney Wanderers 3, Southern Combination Football League Premier Division, Tuesday 20 th August 2019 One of my biggest bugbears when attending live football matches are ‘supporters’ (and I use that term loosely) who leave the game early to ‘avoid the traffic’. It’s something that I used to see all the time when I took my Brighton-supporting eldest to the Amex Stadium on a fairly regular basis a few years ago. One game that particularly sticks in mind was a match against Leicester. The visitors were leading 1-0 with about five minutes left when a Leicester player was sent off. Suddenly, and somewhat inexplicably, a plethora of people sitting around us stood up and started shuffling unapologetically towards the exits, obviously eager to get a march on those foolish enough to actually stay around until the end of the game. I just don’t get it. Never have done. Never will do. There was still plenty of time for late drama, but these ‘fans’ clearl

Goalie gaffe settles Rocks derby

Tunbridge Wells 1 Rusthall 2, Southern Counties East Football League Premier Division, Saturday 23 rd February 2019 Following a rare foray to a match outside of Sussex last weekend, this Saturday brought another trip to a game outside of my home county. However, as with last weekend’s trip to Lingfield , I didn’t stray too far past the Sussex border. The truth is that I’ve had my eye on a visit to Tunbridge Wells FC’s Culverden Stadium all season. It’s a club with which I can a claim a very loose connection. Not only is my wife from the town, but my father-in-law was for many years the club’s secretary, among other things. I myself was, for a brief period in the 2007/08 season, the club's temporary program editor – despite never having seen the team play either home or away. Welcome, ladies and gents, to the often weird and wacky world of non-league football! This was a situation, though, that I’d vowed to put right this season. And what better time to pay my inaug