Skip to main content

Honours even as curtain comes down on 2018 groundhopping journey


East Preston 2 Pagham 2, SCFL Premier Division, 29th December 2018

And so to my last groundhopping match of 2018.

Having spent much of Christmas week unable to decide whether to take a step closer to completing my target of visiting every ground in the SCFL Premier or to attend a game at a higher level, I ultimately turned to Twitter (again) to determine my destination.

With only one SCFL Premier team whose ground I haven’t previously visited scheduled to be at home this weekend, East Preston were the obvious choice to be one of my Twitter poll’s options. A quick scan of the fixtures in the higher Bostik leagues led me to pick Three Bridges as the other option (I thought I’d go for a straight shoot-out this time out, rather than having multiple options).

Ultimately, it was East Preston’s match with Pagham which comfortably won the poll. This meant not only would another SCFL Prem ground get ticked off my metaphorical list (only five more to go), but I would get to see the only two remaining sides in the Premier Division who I haven’t yet seen play this season. Technically I haven’t seen Peacehaven in a competitive match yet, but I did see them take on Cobham in a pre-season friendly – this still counts, right? 


It also meant an ideal opportunity to meet up with my Worthing-based friend, and 5Ways Soccer School colleague, Mark, and his partner’s two children (who just so happen to be the same age as my own two kids) and attend a match with him for the second time this season. I only hoped that this would be a more entertaining encounter than the previous game we’d been to together – a dour goalless draw between Worthing and Burgess Hill back in August.

Unfortunately, my eldest didn’t feel like attending the game (think he may still be slightly scarred from his visit to a freezing cold, wet and windy Loxwood a couple of weeks ago). However, the flip side was that there would enough space in the car to give Mark and his young charges, Finn and Stan (and Fin’s new ‘pet’ Steve the Tamodatchi – they’re still about; who knew?)  a lift rather than them having to catch a train. It also meant that my children could take a much-needed break from each other for a few hours, having severely started to wind each other (and me and their mother) up over the past few days.

Following a 40-minute drive to Mark’s house, then little more than a ten-minute drive to East Preston, we arrived at our destination and parked outside the Lashmar about 15 minutes before kick-off. Having paid £6 to get in, and £1 for a simple but effective double header program (all three kids and Steve were waved in for free) we made our way into the ground.


The Lashmar is a standard county league ground, with a couple of covered terraced areas and a smallish, but not unattractive, covered seated stand along one side of the pitch. Tucked away behind rows of fir trees around much of the ground, it’s a really pleasant setting in which to watch football.


With my companions’ two young charges having been fairly frequent visitors to the more salubrious (in comparison) surroundings of Lewes, Lancing and Worthing, Finn was quick to remark on quite how small the ground seemed.

It made me smile as I recalled the near identical reactions my own two children had to similar sized (and indeed even smaller – this is not the smallest ground I’ve been to this season my any means) grounds we visited earlier in the season. They’ve become more used to it now, no longer commenting on things like the lack of scoreboards, tunnels and other things that once seemed conspicuous by their absence. They’ve slowly become sanitised to the world of non-league football, which in my opinion can only be a good thing!

For the first time this season, I opted not to stand at the side of the pitch or decamp to the covered seated area. Instead, we made our way behind the nearest goal, feeling that as there weren’t many people there if the kids felt the need to burn off some post-Christmas energy, they would be able to do so without overly bothering anyone. From my own point of view, it was also good to watch a game from a slightly different perspective (even if doing so did ram home the fact that I really need to start taking my glasses with me to football matches for when the action is up the other end of the pitch!


The hosts started the match strongly and were almost ahead from their first serious attack, James Binfield reacting well to turn Jack Barnes’ long-range strike behind for a corner. The home fans didn’t have too much longer to wait for the opening goal, though. The resulting corner was well worked, and culminated in Asa Nicholson sending a stooping header beyond Binfield’s despairing dive and into the top corner.

In the opening 20 minutes, Pagham’s defence struggled to get to grips with the searing pace of Lucas Patterson who was a constant thorn in the visitor’s side.

However, midway through the opening 45 minutes, having weathered the early pressure, Pagham began to turn the screw and became increasingly dominant, keeping the host’s pegged back in their own half for lengthy periods. For all their possession and territory, though, they struggled to create too many clear-cut chances. That said, East Preston were indebted to two fine saves from their keeper George Bentley, and a miscued shot from Scott Murfin, to keep their lead intact at the interval.

Parity was restored, however, barley a minute into the second half. A clear handball from Josh Etherington (so clear that literally not one player complained about the decision – this never happens, ever) led to the referee awarding a penalty which was confidently dispatched by Dan Simmonds (see video).

From that moment, the game continued in a similar pattern to the first half. Pagham seeing more of the ball but not creating too much; East Preston only really looking dangerous when Patterson was on the charge.

With the game seemingly meandering towards a hard-fought draw, the kids started to become restless and began running relay races behind the goal. They weren’t the only ones getting restless. The constant beeping from Steve suggested that he too craved action (although according Finn he was merely hungry and in need of the toilet – technology, hey!).


With around ten minutes left, Mark and I had no sooner agreed that neither side looked like nicking a winner, when a moment of magic by that man Patterson handed the hosts the lead. He beat two players before calmly placing the ball into the bottom far corner of the net from 20 yards out. A goal that we believed had signed off our 2018 football spectating in style.


Once again, though, falling behind seemed to spur Pagham into action and within five minutes they had levelled for the second time in the match. There was more than a hint of luck about the equaliser, though, as Daryl Woller’s attempted deep cross eluded everyone, including Bentley, and ended up in the net.

During the celebrations that followed, East Preston had Stephen Herbert sent off. This was presumably for dissent. But to be honest, in a moment not too dissimilar to the classic Chris Kamara Soccer Saturday incident at Fratton Park a few years ago, we all completely missed the red card, and were only alerted to the fact by the Pagham goalkeeper, who seemed as confused as the rest of us.
Courtesy of Mark Shelton

Pagham pressed for an equaliser in the little time left, but despite playing the majority of the remainder of the match in the host’s half, they couldn’t fashion any memorable chances.

At full-time, the boys – and Steve, of course – rushed over to high five some of the rather bemused, yet amused – and polite – players (and the even more bemused and amused, yet equally polite, match officials) as they headed into the changing room.

It was a fun way for my 2018 goundhopping journey to end.


So that’s it then. No more games to go and watch, or grounds to visit, until next year.
 Or, to be more specific, until Tuesday when I’ll be going to watch Lewes take on Burgess Hill. I’m looking forward to it already.

Happy New Year everyone.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Groundhopping away from home

Bootle FC 3 Charnock Richard 1, NWCFL Premier Division, 21 st August 2018 When, a few months ago, the parents of the Withdean Youth team that I had coached for the past eight years clubbed together to buy me a tour of Anfield, my wife viewed this as a great opportunity to take a few days away with the kids during the summer holidays. What she hadn’t banked on back then was my new hobby of Non-League groundhopping. Therefore, with the tour booked, and our dates away confirmed, I started looking into possible matches that we could attend. You can probably imagine the better half’s excitement when I informed her of my plans. Surprisingly, however, she didn’t turn down my offer for her to tag along me and the kids. Following some half-hearted research (never been a strength if I’m honest), I noticed that North-West Counties Football League side Bootle FC were  scheduled to be at home on the Tuesday evening that we were due to be in Liverpool. The name Bootle struck a chord with

Peacehaven’s late show proves why leaving early is a no no

Peacehaven and Telscombe 3 Langney Wanderers 3, Southern Combination Football League Premier Division, Tuesday 20 th August 2019 One of my biggest bugbears when attending live football matches are ‘supporters’ (and I use that term loosely) who leave the game early to ‘avoid the traffic’. It’s something that I used to see all the time when I took my Brighton-supporting eldest to the Amex Stadium on a fairly regular basis a few years ago. One game that particularly sticks in mind was a match against Leicester. The visitors were leading 1-0 with about five minutes left when a Leicester player was sent off. Suddenly, and somewhat inexplicably, a plethora of people sitting around us stood up and started shuffling unapologetically towards the exits, obviously eager to get a march on those foolish enough to actually stay around until the end of the game. I just don’t get it. Never have done. Never will do. There was still plenty of time for late drama, but these ‘fans’ clearl

Goalie gaffe settles Rocks derby

Tunbridge Wells 1 Rusthall 2, Southern Counties East Football League Premier Division, Saturday 23 rd February 2019 Following a rare foray to a match outside of Sussex last weekend, this Saturday brought another trip to a game outside of my home county. However, as with last weekend’s trip to Lingfield , I didn’t stray too far past the Sussex border. The truth is that I’ve had my eye on a visit to Tunbridge Wells FC’s Culverden Stadium all season. It’s a club with which I can a claim a very loose connection. Not only is my wife from the town, but my father-in-law was for many years the club’s secretary, among other things. I myself was, for a brief period in the 2007/08 season, the club's temporary program editor – despite never having seen the team play either home or away. Welcome, ladies and gents, to the often weird and wacky world of non-league football! This was a situation, though, that I’d vowed to put right this season. And what better time to pay my inaug