Skip to main content

Weather fails to deny Uckers


Loxwood 1 AFC Uckfield 3, SCFL Premier Division, Saturday 15th December 2018

Perfect football weather. That’s undoubtedly how my late Dad would have described the hammering rain that began to fall from unrelenting grey skies across much of Sussex at around 10am on Saturday morning.

When I was a young boy, no matter how heavy the rain was or how much of the pitch was covered by mud or puddles, my Dad would always insist that it was “perfect football weather.” He used to say it so often that I actually started to believe him when he said it. I relished playing football in the rain. Absolutely loved it.

The cold never used to bother me that much either. There was no under armour, t-shirts or vests worn under my shirt when I was a nipper. If I ran around enough then I’d keep warm, that was the old man’s point of view. It worked too. Throughout my football ‘career’ (I use that term very loosely) I never used to wear anything under my shirt – at least not until I started playing veterans football and became a wuss.

Times have changed, of course. These days, children now view heavy rain as perfect X-Box weather rather than perfect football weather. 
So as my eldest son continued to stare forlornly out of the window, watching the rain rattling against the window panes, whilst continually questioning whether he really had to accompany me to a game that afternoon (he did) my response that this was perfect football weather was met by an expression which managed all at once to convey a mixture of disdain, bewilderment and contempt. 


Earlier in the week, I’d decided that the latest venue on my groundhopper jaunt would be Loxwood’s The Nest. With my Saturday morning coaching commitments having now ended until the New Year, this affords me the perfect opportunity to tick off some of the further away SCFL Premier Division grounds that I’d struggle to reach on a typical Saturday afternoon. I’m well on course to have visited every ground in that division by the end of this season, and the next few weeks should give me the chance to get the further afield venues out of the way.

The fact that an occasional colleague at 5Ways Soccer School, Nathan Bowen, has recently taken up a coaching role with the Loxwood first team only served to further pique my interest in making The Nest my next destination.

During the just over hour drive to Loxwood, my eldest must have asked at least 15 times whether the game had been called off yet. Each time I confidently responded that it would be fine and that there was no danger of the game being postponed; although my confidence was diminishing with each passing minute as the rain got harder and harder.

However, by the time we arrived in Loxwood, parked and bought a coffee and hot chocolate in the club house to warm ourselves up, the game was still very much on. In fact, we were advised that the pitch was looking pretty good. And in fairness it was. Before kick-off.

 After paying £6 to get in (nothing for the boy), and £1 for a program (glossy but with more ads than actual content) we swiftly took our seats in the small but smart covered area by the half-way line (there is a further small covered terraced area behind the near goal which also attracted a few spectators).

I’d previously seen Loxwood’s opponents for the afternoon, AFC Uckfield, on the first weekend of the season when they hosted Horsham YMCA. Although they lost that afternoon, I can remember being impressed by their organisation and resilience. I hadn’t yet seen strggling Loxwood, but was aware that they came into the game on a run of good form, with their new management team having had an immediate positive impact on results. With Uckfield also high on confidence, with their ongoing exploits in the FA Vase really capturing the imagination of Sussex football fans, I was hopeful that an exciting 90 minutes lay ahead.


From the off it was Uckfield who adapted better to the tricky conditions, immediately pressuring their opponents into making mistakes. The visitors dominant opening was rewarded with two goals in the opening ten minutes, with striker Matt Maclean netting both. In fairness to Loxwood, they continually tried to pass the ball and play good football, and did have moments when they troubled their opponents. But Uckfield’s high pressing game made it difficult for the hosts to get out of their half at times, and a third goal for the Uckers always appeared more likely than a goal for The Magpies.


That third goal for the visitors duly arrived six minutes before half-time, when a sudden burst of pace from Gianfranco Mici took him away from a couple of home defenders before he confidently finished low into the far corner from just inside the area.

By half-time, the still lashing rain and deteriorating pitch conditions were starting to leave the chances of the game reaching its conclusion in the balance. The Loxwood subs who were warming up on the pitch during the interval seemed adamant that an abandonment was imminent, much to the chagrin of one their watching suspended teammates, for whom an abandonment would have meant another week spent on the sidelines!


Indeed, when the players retook to the field following the interval, the referee and his assistants gave the pitch a thorough examination before eventually passing it fit enough for the game to continue (much to my son’s annoyance). Huge credit to Loxwood here, who given the scoreline could have been forgiven for kicking up a fuss, applying pressure to the ref and trying to get the game called off. This didn’t seem to happen, though, with both teams seemingly happy to get the game played to a conclusion.


And it was Loxwood who started the second half the better side. Playing a bit more direct, the hosts dominated the opening exchanges of the half, and were rewarded on hour-mark when the visitors failed to clear a corner, and Shabazz Omofe fired home with the aid of a slight deflection (see video below).

This goal served to provide the visitors with the wake-up call they needed, however, and from that moment they re-established control. Had it not been for a couple of fine saves from Loxwood keeper Liam Matthews (see video below for one of them), and some shoddy finishing – the impressive Bailo Camara and Maclean the main culprits – then their margin of victory could have been more commanding.

As it was, had Loxwood not spurned their own golden opportunity to score as the clock ticked towards the 90th minute (a defender heading an effort against the bar when he really should have scored) then we could have been in for a barnstorming finale.

As it was, Uckfield took the sting out of the game from that moment on, and with the pitch becoming increasingly unplayable it was something of a relief when the referee blew for full-time.


On the drive home, I asked the eldest whether he’d enjoyed the game. He replied that it was “quite good even though it was really cold and rainy.”

“So you’re glad you came then?” I responded. “Much better than staying home to play FIFA, hey?”

You can probably guess what kind of look he gave me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Groundhopping away from home

Bootle FC 3 Charnock Richard 1, NWCFL Premier Division, 21 st August 2018 When, a few months ago, the parents of the Withdean Youth team that I had coached for the past eight years clubbed together to buy me a tour of Anfield, my wife viewed this as a great opportunity to take a few days away with the kids during the summer holidays. What she hadn’t banked on back then was my new hobby of Non-League groundhopping. Therefore, with the tour booked, and our dates away confirmed, I started looking into possible matches that we could attend. You can probably imagine the better half’s excitement when I informed her of my plans. Surprisingly, however, she didn’t turn down my offer for her to tag along me and the kids. Following some half-hearted research (never been a strength if I’m honest), I noticed that North-West Counties Football League side Bootle FC were  scheduled to be at home on the Tuesday evening that we were due to be in Liverpool. The name Bootle struck a chord with

Peacehaven’s late show proves why leaving early is a no no

Peacehaven and Telscombe 3 Langney Wanderers 3, Southern Combination Football League Premier Division, Tuesday 20 th August 2019 One of my biggest bugbears when attending live football matches are ‘supporters’ (and I use that term loosely) who leave the game early to ‘avoid the traffic’. It’s something that I used to see all the time when I took my Brighton-supporting eldest to the Amex Stadium on a fairly regular basis a few years ago. One game that particularly sticks in mind was a match against Leicester. The visitors were leading 1-0 with about five minutes left when a Leicester player was sent off. Suddenly, and somewhat inexplicably, a plethora of people sitting around us stood up and started shuffling unapologetically towards the exits, obviously eager to get a march on those foolish enough to actually stay around until the end of the game. I just don’t get it. Never have done. Never will do. There was still plenty of time for late drama, but these ‘fans’ clearl

Goalie gaffe settles Rocks derby

Tunbridge Wells 1 Rusthall 2, Southern Counties East Football League Premier Division, Saturday 23 rd February 2019 Following a rare foray to a match outside of Sussex last weekend, this Saturday brought another trip to a game outside of my home county. However, as with last weekend’s trip to Lingfield , I didn’t stray too far past the Sussex border. The truth is that I’ve had my eye on a visit to Tunbridge Wells FC’s Culverden Stadium all season. It’s a club with which I can a claim a very loose connection. Not only is my wife from the town, but my father-in-law was for many years the club’s secretary, among other things. I myself was, for a brief period in the 2007/08 season, the club's temporary program editor – despite never having seen the team play either home or away. Welcome, ladies and gents, to the often weird and wacky world of non-league football! This was a situation, though, that I’d vowed to put right this season. And what better time to pay my inaug