Skip to main content

Chi fail to take Christmas number one spot


Chichester City 3 Hassocks FC 3, SCFL Premier League, Saturday 22nd December 2018

I'll be honest. I've been putting my visits to Chichester on the backburner.

On numerous occasions this season I've glanced at the fixture list and considered a visit to one of the city's two SCFL Premier teams – Chichester City and Pagham.

However, each time I've decided instead to attend a game elsewhere.

Now this is nothing against Chichester. It's a perfectly pleasant picturesque city. One I’ve been to plenty of times before.

Partly my reason for not going and watching a game there so far this season has been purely down to logistics. On a normal Saturday I don't finish coaching in Brighton until 12:45, so by the time I get home (Newhaven), shower and get changed there's no guarantee that I’d make it to Chi in time for kick-off.

Largely, though, my hesitancy to attend a game in the city boils down to one overriding factor. The A27. More specifically the stretch of the A27 that runs from Lancing to Chichester. Put simply, I hate it!

I suspect that like many other Sussex residents, I've lost many hours on this relatively short stretch of road, sat nose-to-tail in a seemingly endless queue of traffic. One can only wonder what's going to happen to the road once the long-heralded development of an Ikea in Lancing Is completed? Probably best not to think too much about it. (On second thoughts, with that kind of attitude I could probably forge a career for myself in town planning).
Anyway, I despise this section of the A27 so much that just the mere thought of traversing this portion of road when I don't strictly have to is enough to send shivers shooting down my spine.


However, I'm determined to have visited all of the SCFL prem grounds at least once by the end of this season, so traverse it I must.

And with my coaching commitments on hiatus until the New Year, and with Christmas just around the corner, I’ve decided that this is the perfect weekend to make my first trip of the season to the city. The way I see it, people travelling to friends and relatives for the festive period are unlikely to be doing so during the middle of the afternoon, organised shoppers (women) will already have completed their gift buying, while unorganised shoppers (men) won't be starting until Monday.

If ever there was going to be a weekend with little traffic on the road, I confidently reasoned to my wife earlier in the week, then this was it.

Somewhat amazingly, this admittedly rather half-baked logic held firm.

I flew down the A27 with hardly any delays. Not even in Worthing!

It's a good job I did, because when I arrived in Chichester it took me ages to locate Chichester City’s Countrywide Gas Stadium (formerly known as Oaklands Park). 

Well, that's not strictly true. I could see the ground. I just couldn't work out where to park and how to access it.


Partly this was down to a shoddy performance from my SatNav (continually trying to take me into a road turning that simply didn't exist) and partly it was down to my refusal to pay for parking in a nearby pay and display car park. I’m not tight, I’m frugal, as my Mum says (often).

At one point, totally flummoxed by where I needed to go, I stopped off at the nearby Chichester rugby club to ask a lady there how to get to the football ground.

Judging from the expression on this woman's face, you would have been forgiven for thinking that I'd asked if I could urinate in her coffee rather than enquiring where the football ground was! Suffice to say she didn't know. Or didn't want to tell me. I couldn't work out which.

After driving around in a circle at least three times, I decided to pull in at the tennis club to ask for directions, only to discover that this was where the mystical entrance to the ground actually was. Hooray!


Paying my £6 entrance fee (and a further £1 for a small, but informative enough glossy program) I was immediately impressed with the club’s set-up. The CGS is a tidy little enclosed ground featuring a small-ish covered seated area comprising around 100 seats on one side of the pitch, then two similar sized covered terraced areas along the near and far sidelines. I was also amazed to see a pitch that looked to be in really good condition, especially given the deluge of rain that we’ve had over the past week. Conditions which caused the postponement of a number of other matches in the county today. There was no danger of that here, judging by the playing surface.

From the off it was not hard to see why Chichester went into the afternoon's game against Hassocks sitting at the top of the league. They constantly looked to pass the ball out from the back, and at times the visiting players found themselves chasing shadows. I would go so far as to say that, after Hastings, Chi were arguably the best footballing side that I’ve seen so far this season (although it is admittedly hard to make too much judgement on the basis of just one or two showings).

Yet for all their good football in the early stages, Hassocks stuck doggedly to their task of soaking up pressure and looking to hit the hosts on the counter whenever they could. The visitors certainly weren’t there to make up the numbers.

However, around halfway through the first-half, Chi took a deserved lead - although the opening goal came down to a slice of fortune. When I watched Hassocks earlier in the season, they lost 3-0 at home to Lingfied – largely because of two mistakes from their stand-in keeper (who was actually their physio). Today they had a proper goalkeeper between the sticks, but it still was his error which gifted the hosts the opening goal. A weak goal-kick fell at the feet of Chi striker Rob Hutchings, and he took full advantage of the gift (insert Christmas pun here) to put his side 1-0 up.


There was nothing fortunate, however, about the home side’s second goal ten minutes later, with the impressive Gicu Ioedache beating a couple of players before curling the ball into the top corner from the edge of the penalty area.

At this point, I felt the best that the visitors could hope for was to get to half-time without conceding another. Chichester were now well on top and another goal would surely end the match as a contest. I doubted they’d manage it, mind you.

I was wrong.

Approaching the 40-minute mark, a long ball into the Chichester area was met by Phil Johnson, who took full advantage of some lacklustre marking and hesitant goalkeeping to poke his side back into the game.


 To the surprise of practically everyone watching, the visitors – who’d barely threatened since the opening exchanges) then managed to grab an equaliser before half-time. Good work from Jake Lindsay, who worked tirelessly throughout, won his side a corner which he himself took. The delivery was perfect and Harry Mills stole in unmarked to nod Hassocks level (see video).

The second-half followed the same pattern as the first. Chichester controlling possession,;Hassocks looking to hit their opponents on the break.

So when Chi retook the lead 15 minutes into the second half, it came as no real surprise. Connor Cody (no, not that one) finishing off a slick passing move which tore the visitor's defence to shreds.

Ten minutes later, Hassocks were reduced to ten men when Dan Jaques was shown a straight red for a professional foul. In truth, I did feel a degree of sympathy with the defender. It was clearly a foul (and by the rules of the game a red card), but the striker did run across Jaques which resulted in a tangle of legs. There was little else the unfortunate defender could have done. I myself was sent off for a similar offence during my playing days, so can totally relate to why he was so obviously unhappy by the decision.


So with the hosts already on top, and now playing with a man advantage there could only be one outcome, right?

Wrong again.

The host’s failure to make their possession, numerical and territorial advantage count (they were guilty of overplaying on a number of occasions when they should have got a shot away) was to come back and haunt them.


With time running out, Hassocks substitute James Littlejohn produced  an almost carbon copy of Iordache's earlier strike (albeit from the other side of the area) to earn his side an unlikely point.

At the final whistle, Chichester fans were left scratching their heads at how they hadn’t come away from the game with the three points that would have seen them cling on to top spot at Christmas. Instead, it’s Horsham YMCA who will enter the round of Boxing Day Games in pole position, although there’s still a long way to go in what is shaping up to be a close title race, with Newhaven and possibly Saltdean, Pagham and Eastbourne Town also in contention.

I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas, and I’ll be back on the road next Saturday, due to family commitments Boxing Day.

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Groundhopping away from home

Bootle FC 3 Charnock Richard 1, NWCFL Premier Division, 21 st August 2018 When, a few months ago, the parents of the Withdean Youth team that I had coached for the past eight years clubbed together to buy me a tour of Anfield, my wife viewed this as a great opportunity to take a few days away with the kids during the summer holidays. What she hadn’t banked on back then was my new hobby of Non-League groundhopping. Therefore, with the tour booked, and our dates away confirmed, I started looking into possible matches that we could attend. You can probably imagine the better half’s excitement when I informed her of my plans. Surprisingly, however, she didn’t turn down my offer for her to tag along me and the kids. Following some half-hearted research (never been a strength if I’m honest), I noticed that North-West Counties Football League side Bootle FC were  scheduled to be at home on the Tuesday evening that we were due to be in Liverpool. The name Bootle struck a chord with

Peacehaven’s late show proves why leaving early is a no no

Peacehaven and Telscombe 3 Langney Wanderers 3, Southern Combination Football League Premier Division, Tuesday 20 th August 2019 One of my biggest bugbears when attending live football matches are ‘supporters’ (and I use that term loosely) who leave the game early to ‘avoid the traffic’. It’s something that I used to see all the time when I took my Brighton-supporting eldest to the Amex Stadium on a fairly regular basis a few years ago. One game that particularly sticks in mind was a match against Leicester. The visitors were leading 1-0 with about five minutes left when a Leicester player was sent off. Suddenly, and somewhat inexplicably, a plethora of people sitting around us stood up and started shuffling unapologetically towards the exits, obviously eager to get a march on those foolish enough to actually stay around until the end of the game. I just don’t get it. Never have done. Never will do. There was still plenty of time for late drama, but these ‘fans’ clearl

Goalie gaffe settles Rocks derby

Tunbridge Wells 1 Rusthall 2, Southern Counties East Football League Premier Division, Saturday 23 rd February 2019 Following a rare foray to a match outside of Sussex last weekend, this Saturday brought another trip to a game outside of my home county. However, as with last weekend’s trip to Lingfield , I didn’t stray too far past the Sussex border. The truth is that I’ve had my eye on a visit to Tunbridge Wells FC’s Culverden Stadium all season. It’s a club with which I can a claim a very loose connection. Not only is my wife from the town, but my father-in-law was for many years the club’s secretary, among other things. I myself was, for a brief period in the 2007/08 season, the club's temporary program editor – despite never having seen the team play either home or away. Welcome, ladies and gents, to the often weird and wacky world of non-league football! This was a situation, though, that I’d vowed to put right this season. And what better time to pay my inaug