Skip to main content

Atmosphere 1 match 0



Worthing FC  0 Burgess Hill Town 0, Bostik League Premier Division, 27th August 2018

Momentarily my heart sank.

Upon realising a couple of weeks ago that there was a full Non-League schedule on Bank Holiday Monday, meaning the opportunity to add a bonus match to my maiden groundhopping month, my wife swiftly informed me that we (by which I mean she) had already arranged to meet friends that day.

Yet before my heart could sink too far into the pit of my stomach, she added to her potential bombshell. The friends we were going to be meeting were one of my long-term coaching colleagues from Brighton’s 5Ways Soccer School and his better half, who just so happens to work behind the bar at Worthing FC.

That’s right. She had arranged a meeting with friends at a football match!!

Major bonus points there for my almost better half (it’s alright she never reads this).

And so it was that today’s groundhopping journey took me to Worthing FC’s Bibby Financial Services Stadium (formerly known as Woodside Stadium). Their opponents for the Bostik League Premier Division match were fellow West Sussex-based side Burgess Hill.

With Worthing one of Sussex’s better supported sides, and Burgess Hill located not at all far away, I realised that there was likely to be quite a big crowd for the game. Therefore, setting off slightly earlier that I would normally have done for my trip along the A27 to Worthing, I ended up arriving at the stadium at about 14:15, having parked around a 5-minute walk away. Not too bad.

The cost of admission and program was the same it had been at East Grinstead on Saturday (£10 and £2 respectively) and the second I stepped through the turnstiles two things were instantly noticeable. Firstly, the crowd for the day was indeed going to be quite large (almost 1,200 as it turned out), and secondly this is a hugely impressive ground. Woodside… sorry I mean the Bibby Financial Services Stadium… is dominated by a huge brick-built seated stand- under which sits the clubhouse and changing rooms. There’s also an outside bar and coffee hut, which is perfect for busy days like today.


There’s also covered areas of various sizes on the three other sides of the ground. Definitely the best-looking ground that I have been too thus far.

Then there’s the pitch – a fantastic looking 3G (or 4G – I never know the difference) surface that will no doubt come into its own during the long winter months.

With the main stand already filling up, and with my two children today joined by the two children of our friends, we instead decide to take a spot on the opposite side of the ground where the kids will have space to burn off some energy should they feel the need. It turns out to be a good choice, but I’ll come to that in a bit.

By 14:35, a small band of Burgess Hill fans, complete with drum, are already in full voice to our right.  Throughout the game they more than do their bit to help create a cracking atmosphere.
Burgess Hill's Barmy Army


In fact, that the atmosphere is decent is probably the best thing that I can say about the majority of the game.


Classic is not the word that springs to mind when recalling the action.

From very early on it is apparent that the Hillians will be more than happy to take a point back up the road with them. At times the first-half (and indeed most of the second-half) looks more like an attack versus defence drill than it does an actual football match. Not that this is a criticism. Far from it. With Worthing boasting a perfect start to the season, and Burgess Hill smarting after a 6-1 drubbing at home on Saturday, keeping things tight is very much a priority.

Throughout the first 45 minutes, Worthing huff and puff without creating too much in the way of clear-cut chances. Their best moments come from Jesse Starkey corners and through the skilful endeavour of my MOM David Ajiboye.

The theme continues for much of the second-half, although Worthing do start to make more and more chances. However, resolute Burgess Hill defending keep the brilliantly nicknamed Mackerel Men out.


As predicted, a lack of goalmouth action starts to see our younger companions’ attention start to waiver, and they’re soon finding other ways to entertain themselves. Not that they’re the only ones mind you. At one point I notice a young boy behind me sitting there reading a Harry Potter book. It’s without doubt more exciting – although an Alfie Jones book would surely be a better choice (not that I’m bias, of course).

The game finally sparks into life in the last ten minutes as Worthing go all out for the goal that will keep alive their 100 per cent start to the season. More chances come and go. The bar is hit twice (one such effort, which can be seen above, follows a 1980s-style goalmouth scramble) and bodies of Hillian defenders (basically the whole team by this point) are flung at everything that moves inside the area.

Then, there’s almost a late sting. With Worthing committing more and more men forward, the visitors break at lightning speed and work the ball to Kieron Pamment whose goal-bound shot is bravely charged down by Alex Parsons. Half-hearted shouts go up for a handball from the visiting fans behind the goal, but a penalty for that would have been extremely harsh, and they’re not overly surprised when their pleas are ignored by the man in black.

So the game ends 0-0. My first blank of the season in my seventh game. Worthing will be wondering how it's finished that way; Burgess Hill will be delighted that their bus was well and truly parked for the majority of the 90-minutes.

After the game, it’s great to see that children (and adults) are allowed onto the pitch for a kick-around; no grass to worry about damaging here. While out on the pitch watching the kids showing off their skills, I happen to bump into an old school friend and football teammate (hi Ollie if you’re reading this) who it turns out is now a regular match-goer at Worthing. Small world.

My first month as a groundhopper, then, has now come to an end. It started with a 4-3 thriller and ended with a 0-0 er… well... not thriller. Who knows what the coming months will bring? 
I can’t wait to find out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Groundhopping away from home

Bootle FC 3 Charnock Richard 1, NWCFL Premier Division, 21 st August 2018 When, a few months ago, the parents of the Withdean Youth team that I had coached for the past eight years clubbed together to buy me a tour of Anfield, my wife viewed this as a great opportunity to take a few days away with the kids during the summer holidays. What she hadn’t banked on back then was my new hobby of Non-League groundhopping. Therefore, with the tour booked, and our dates away confirmed, I started looking into possible matches that we could attend. You can probably imagine the better half’s excitement when I informed her of my plans. Surprisingly, however, she didn’t turn down my offer for her to tag along me and the kids. Following some half-hearted research (never been a strength if I’m honest), I noticed that North-West Counties Football League side Bootle FC were  scheduled to be at home on the Tuesday evening that we were due to be in Liverpool. The name Bootle struck a chord with

Peacehaven’s late show proves why leaving early is a no no

Peacehaven and Telscombe 3 Langney Wanderers 3, Southern Combination Football League Premier Division, Tuesday 20 th August 2019 One of my biggest bugbears when attending live football matches are ‘supporters’ (and I use that term loosely) who leave the game early to ‘avoid the traffic’. It’s something that I used to see all the time when I took my Brighton-supporting eldest to the Amex Stadium on a fairly regular basis a few years ago. One game that particularly sticks in mind was a match against Leicester. The visitors were leading 1-0 with about five minutes left when a Leicester player was sent off. Suddenly, and somewhat inexplicably, a plethora of people sitting around us stood up and started shuffling unapologetically towards the exits, obviously eager to get a march on those foolish enough to actually stay around until the end of the game. I just don’t get it. Never have done. Never will do. There was still plenty of time for late drama, but these ‘fans’ clearl

Goalie gaffe settles Rocks derby

Tunbridge Wells 1 Rusthall 2, Southern Counties East Football League Premier Division, Saturday 23 rd February 2019 Following a rare foray to a match outside of Sussex last weekend, this Saturday brought another trip to a game outside of my home county. However, as with last weekend’s trip to Lingfield , I didn’t stray too far past the Sussex border. The truth is that I’ve had my eye on a visit to Tunbridge Wells FC’s Culverden Stadium all season. It’s a club with which I can a claim a very loose connection. Not only is my wife from the town, but my father-in-law was for many years the club’s secretary, among other things. I myself was, for a brief period in the 2007/08 season, the club's temporary program editor – despite never having seen the team play either home or away. Welcome, ladies and gents, to the often weird and wacky world of non-league football! This was a situation, though, that I’d vowed to put right this season. And what better time to pay my inaug